JOB TITLE: Case Manager
SUPERVISOR: Joanne H. Alley
DATE: June 2017
SALARY RANGE: $15.00 - $17.00/hr. for 40 hrs./week
Under the supervision of the IHN Director, the Case Manager’s primary responsibilities will be to assist the Director in screening potential shelter guests, provide case management for sheltered families, support guests with setting and achieving goals, provide assistance with housing and job search, provide follow-up services for families who have secured housing, and to be an advocate in the community for the IHN guests and program.
The Case Manager shall be at least 21 years of age and have 2 to 4 years of college, post high school, or relevant work experience. BA/BS strongly preferred.
This position requires at least two years case management experience or related work.
A successful applicant will have a familiarity with MA housing/shelter and income assistance programs, Greater Worcester area social service programs, and experience working with homeless families or families in crisis.
Applicants must be well organized, be able to take direction, exhibit personal leadership, and manage her/his time effectively. S/he must have the ability to function independently with minimal supervision, and to plan, coordinate, and carry out those tasks necessary to meet job responsibilities.
Applicants must have effective communication skills, both oral and written, with families, visitors to the shelter, volunteers, co-workers, funders, and regulatory agencies.
The ability to relate to cultural, religious, and economically diverse populations is essential. Bilingual is a plus.
Applicants must have a valid MA driver’s license. This position requires local travel.
Some evening/weekend work may be required.
- The case manager responds promptly to all referrals and assists with intake and assessment of potential families.
- The case manager provides case management to the guests in the program, supports guests with setting and achieving goals, develops service plans for each family and monitors and record progress, makes referrals to community resources, and coordinate services. The case manager advocates for guests through all of his/her work.
- The case manager will assist guests to increase their income by helping with job search, developing resumes, and employment skills or education enrollment.
- The case manager provides assistance and supervision to families in their search for housing by helping guests develop a comprehensive housing plan and assist them to identify and secure affordable housing.
- The case manager will assist families with all phases of the housing application process; including but not limited to, accompanying guests to view apartments, acting as an advocate with landlords and housing managers/authorities. The case manager will complete weekly checks of housing search documentation and keep accurate records detailing housing search.
- The case manager will assist guests to develop a budget that includes saving for first, and last month’s rent and security deposit and paying off past due bills.
- The case manager is responsible for the coordination of weekly educational workshops on budgeting/money management, employment skills, parenting, accessing support services in the community, childcare, etc.
- The case manager will continue to support families as they transition from shelter to permanent housing for a minimum of 6 months.
- The case manager will participate in all IHN staff meetings and relevant trainings and attend community-based meetings to build and maintain relationships with area agencies.
- The case manager is expected to enforce all program policies and procedures and work with the Director to update and implement new policies and procedures as needed.
Review of applications will begin July 3, 2017. Inquiries and resumes can be sent to Joanne Alley at firstname.lastname@example.org.